Sunday, May 18, 2014

Hawaii!

I love the holidays. After my birthday, I look forward to all of the holidays. So, when the holidays are over, I get a little depressed. The new year starts and it's dark and cold and there's not much to look forward to until spring. No sun, no holidays, back to school. The cure? Vacation. In Hawaii. January is a great time to go to Hawaii. Perfect weather, sun all of the time and not too crowded. We had decided to go to Hawaii several months before.. and had talked our friends Pat and Amanda into going with us. We left fairly early on a Tuesday morning and were on the beach by mid-afternoon. 

The next day we took the bus to Hanauma Bay and went snorkeling. That was my first time snorkeling (who knows why!), and it was awesome! I practiced breathing through my tube in the shallow water before going out. I was a little nervous at first, but I absolutely loved it! We saw lots of different fish and a school of them even swam all around me! 





On the way back, we stopped for dinner at the Kona Brewery. 





We had one relaxing day by the pool and a very happy hour at Duke's - sitting on the beach and listening to some live music. 




We rented a car one day and drove around the island. We stopped at the Dole plantation, got some shave ice in Haleiwa, shrimp from Giovanni's, and went to Ka'ena point. We ended the night by watching fireworks on the beach. 









I made it up for a run before the sunset one morning. Great way to end a run.


Our last day we hung out on the beach and rented some stand-up paddle boards. We saw lots of turtles swimming around! We went back to Duke's for some even better live music and a beautiful sunset. 



The flight home was a little stressful as the Seahawks were playing the 49ers (in the playoffs) and the game started right as we were taking off. There weren't tv's on our plane and they didn't have wifi. The flight attendants updated us twice during the flight and the Seahawks were losing. Finally the pilot got on and announced the Seahawks had won!! Everyone on the plane went nuts.. except Pat... who is a 49ers fan. :) 









No comments:

Post a Comment