Thursday, February 14, 2013

Hopping on the bandwagon!

I might be crazy... I might be enlightened... but whatever the case may be, I think I'm jumping on the bandwagon. The organic, processed food, corn, soy, GMO's and a billion other things to learn about my food bandwagon. I'm paying attention to what I'm eating and what might be in my food.

It started with the book. I read Scott Jurek's "Eat & Run" which made me think about foods fueling running. Long story short... I had a conversation with Jennifer about corn and soy and now I've spent the better part of the past two days reading blogs about food.

This might not have been enough to convince me in the past... BUT! My last two runs have been really phenomenal. I ran yesterday morning as well as this morning and I'm running faster without much effort. I was starting to think it had to do my snazzy new running pants I bought over the weekend. But I was reading "Born to Run" this morning on the bus and there was a blurb about chia seeds. Then I realized that I had had smoothies for breakfast the past two mornings.... with chia seeds! Now, I'm not saying that's the cause for my improvement, but it might not be a total coincidence either! And with just over two weeks until the marathon... I'm going to take all of the help I can get!

Saying it and doing it are two different things. But I'm learning and taking small steps. And if it makes me a better runner in the process, I'll take it.

In the cooking adventure this week, I made eggs in the nest. You know how I love to make things in cupcake pans. :)

You cut the crust off of a piece of bread and slightly squish it into a cupcake tin. Then you fill it with sauteed mushrooms and spinach, carefully break an egg into it and top it with cheese. Then bake in the oven. The recipe said to bake them for 20 minutes, but this makes more of a hard egg and if I do them again, I'll bake them for less time to get the effect of a sunny side up egg. I think that would be better. The recipe online of course had a much better picture of course... and a better shaped "nest" but it still tasted good.


I added salsa and pepper. Again, the picture isn't great, but you get the idea.


We also had some oven roasted butternut squash with thyme and honey. Delicious! Squash and sweet potatoes are superfoods, I'm convinced. :)



1 comment:

  1. HOORAY! I loved reading this. I want some chia seeds, but I haven't found them yet - although I probably should look in the right places! Your eggs in a nest look great - I love salsa on eggs! Thanks for the fun read!

    ReplyDelete