Even though it was more challenging than I had expected, I was happy with the results from my first marathon. Despite what felt like shuffling along at the end of the race, I was able to beat my goal.
I was already in marathon shape and now knew what to expect... I figured doing another marathon so quickly wouldn't be so bad. I might have been wrong.
I had high expectations. I was asking myself for a lot. I was attempting to shave 10 minutes off of my last time... in order to finish under 3:35... and qualify for Boston.
Dustin offered to pace me. I was thrilled. That meant he would do all of the work of checking the watch and calculating splits. He would track our time - he'd even get me water. All I had to do was run.
I kept training, but as the weeks went on I was left feeling tired. My legs felt heavy and I wasn't running as fast. I was mentally drained from the marathon and my legs were feeling it too. I tried to mentally move on. I still had some good runs, I just didn't feel as great as I did before Napa. I trusted my training though and tried to prepare myself mentally.
We drove up to Vancouver the Friday before the race. We spent Saturday at the expo and then relaxing at Stanley Park. We drove the course to see what we could expect - the turns, the hills, etc.
We got to the starting line early on Sunday. We had plenty of time to use the bathroom and get energized from the crowd. We had already decided to start last - to let everyone else go before us so we weren't fighting them in the first few miles. It had worked for Dustin in Napa - I wanted to try it here. We were the only ones with that idea apparently... we stood at the starting line for about 10 minutes after everyone had crossed the mat. The race volunteers at the starting line looked at us with confused faces. They were just waiting for us to leave so they could finish what they were doing. Still we waited.I was giving myself a few miles to warm up.... the plan was to run the first 5 miles slower and then pick it up. I was tempted to look at my watch, but I knew it would just distract me and fill my head with thoughts I didn't need. I tried to just relax and enjoy the scenery in the first few miles, but I was already thinking about the upcoming hills and the miles to go.
Just after mile 5 came the hill... and it wasn't just a short and steep one... it was steady. It lingered. We were supposed to start our pace and the hill only delayed us. I didn't know if we were actually running pace.. I was just following Dustin.
It was a warm day in Vancouver. The first few miles were mostly shaded and it was early enough that it wasn't too hot... but as the day continued, the temperature rose.
I kept waiting to get into the groove... that point at which the running becomes automatic and I feel as though I can run forever... and finally around mile 9, it did. I felt relieved. But it was short lived. In mile 10 I felt the energy drain from my body. In all of my training, I'd never felt that so early. I knew it wasn't good. I kept eating, kept breathing and kept putting one foot in front of the other. There was a clock at the halfway point, but it was on the gun time. Dustin asked me if I wanted to know our actual time. I hesitated.. said no.. then changed my mind. 1:49 and change. I was a little disappointed. It was a minute slower than my PR for a half... and I knew it meant we had some time to make up and I wasn't sure I could do it.
The miles slowly passed. Dustin was amazing. He kept checking on me. He'd stop at the water stations and fill up the water bottle and then run to catch back up with me. The only thing I had to do was tell him if I wanted water or gatorade. Mostly I chose water as I could drink it and dump in on my head. It was hot and the heat was getting to us.
I was sure we slowed down in the second half, but I was also sure I didn't have it in me to go any faster. I wanted to quit... several times... and if I hadn't been following Dustin... I don't know that I wouldn't have.
The last five miles of the race were around the seawall in Stanley Park. I was excited to get there as it was familiar and I thought the views would distract me. I thought about what Dustin had written and I could hear the words in my head. I was anxious to get to the pineapple rock... and to feel the familiar feeling of giving it my all on a run through that park... and about the coffee that would be waiting for me at the end... I thought about just finishing.
The point at which you can see the finish line in a marathon is somewhat torturous. There's never a time that something feels so close and yet still so far away. Ask any marathoner and I'll bet they agree. They say that the .2 of the 26.2 miles is the longest two tenths of a mile you'll ever run. It's true. And the closer we got, the more I wanted to scream out in anguish. I didn't care that the clock was showing me I hadn't achieved my goal... all I wanted to do at that point was stop running.
We collected our medals and bags of food and went and sat down on the steps. No words were spoken right away. It was after noon, it was hot and I was delirious. 3:50:14 was my official time. It was my second marathon in two countries in two months and that was something to be proud of. After a few minutes of drinking and eating, we picked up our creaky bones and headed for the train station. On the way, we saw this:
I didn't quite agree, but they were right about it being beautiful. I was happy it was over though.
I'm glad to read this Kate. You tell the story so well...gads, I'm breathless just reading about you running...does that count as exercise for me???? Anyway, great job sweetheart - I'm so proud of you!
ReplyDelete