We started with Fragrance Lake up in Larrabee State Park. It was chilly, but sunny, so I was able to enjoy some views of the water as I powered up the long hill in mile two. I only ran the 10k, so I was able to wait for Dustin at the finish of the half marathon.
A few weeks later, Dustin ran the Lake Sammamish half marathon and got a new PR of 1:24:06!
![]() |
| The cookies don't look like much, but they're delicious! |
The next day, the rain continued. Dustin and I had volunteered to cheer on runners from the Brooks booth at the St. Patty's Dash. Dustin and a few others were dressed up in blow-up Leprechaun suits and the runners really seemed to enjoy their spirit! It was so fun, we didn't care that we were all soaking wet by the time the race ended.
Just another week later, we both ran the Mercer Island half marathon. It was my first time running it and I actually really enjoyed the course! I was expecting it to be a lot of hills, but it honestly felt like a lot of downhill too. It was a beautiful day for running, and such a nice change after all of the rain the weekend before. I finished in 1:53:18 and Dustin in 1:24:18.
We celebrated the run by going to VegFest! There were a lot of the same vendors as last year, but we also got to try some new things and renewed our membership to the Vegetarians of Washington group. I know, nerds!
I took a cooking class at PCC with Mirra. It was a hands-on class and we got to help prepare what she was teaching us to make (two soups and two salads - all vegan) and then they served us the food. Everything was really good and I even learned a new way to cut an onion!
As I left the strip mall, I saw a woman running with Leeks in her hands. And she wasn't running like she was in a hurry, she was just out for a run! I love Portland.
Then I met up with Dustin and we cranked out a 10 mile run along the esplanade before heading to The Bye & Bye, a pretty cool bar with great vegan food. We shared some pretzel bites enjoyed a meatball sub and the cornmeal tempeh sandwich. It was a cool spot and I'd definitely go back.
Sunday morning we went for a run. I only did six and Dustin ran 20 and met me at A.N.D. Cafe for brunch. We sat at a little table outside and enjoyed some sunshine, as well as a burrito, hash, and a mushroom melt waffle. All were delicious!
I also picked up two other things to try from Back to Eden Bakery (it's becoming my mission to try every vegan place in Portland). We tried a pistachio donut, which was very cakey and I didn't love the frosting, but the carrot cake cupcake more than made up for it! It was a dense cupcake with deliciously creamy frosting. I'm ready to move to Portland....









You are incredible Kate and so is Dustin. I'm proud of you and all that you have accomplished! I'm glad you wrote this in detail. I feel like I was there with you.
ReplyDeleteGeez, I posted a comment and it didn't stay! Bottom line... You and Dustin are incredible and I'm so proud of you. Thanks for all the detail.
ReplyDelete