
We spent Friday at Alki soaking up
some sunshine and then went to watch the kids play t-ball.
We went to the marathon expo and
waited in line to meet Chris McDougall and Scott Jurek (Chris was signing
copies of his new book). Dustin brought his bear hat (that we bought in Alaska)
because he knew from a book that Chris’s nickname was “Oso”. He was probably
the only person waiting in line that knew this bit of information, and he
wanted to take a picture with Chris in it. When it was our turn, I nervously
reminded Scott we had met before at our company party and Dustin asked Chris if
he would take a picture of us with Dustin in the hat. Scott said he thought
Chris should wear the hat and both of them seemed genuinely into it. Chris
graciously wore the hat for our picture and even pretended to bite my head.
When he signed Dustin’s copy of the book he wrote, “Wear the bear hat!” Later that night we headed to Fenway to watch the Sox play the Orioles. The Sox tied up the game in the 5th inning (2-2) and then got one last run in the bottom of the 9th to win the game! We also saw the Orioles pitcher get ejected. He hit the batter in retaliation for a prior play and the ump threw him out. It was an exciting game!
The B.A.A. holds a 5k race on the Saturday before the marathon and we both decided to run it. The steep entry fee was more than made up by the fact that you get a B.A.A. medal (for only a 5k), and you also get to run down Boylston and across the marathon finish line on the course. It was a beautiful day for a run, with lots of sunshine as we gathered in Boston Common for the race. Since it was two days before the marathon, Dustin wasn’t looking to run super fast, so he ran with me (and took pictures and videos with his GoPro) as I reached a new 5k PR! I finished in 24:28 which is a 7:52 pace. I was happy and it was incredible to get to run the streets of Boston.
After the race, we headed to a place
called Root for some brunch. We ordered some celebratory mini donuts, which
were piping hot and delicious. I had the vanilla pancakes and Dustin had the
breakfast burrito. Definitely worth the trip!
We had a relaxing afternoon before another night out. We had tickets to see Cartel at the Middle East Restaurant & Nightclub. They were on a 10-year anniversary tour of their album “Chroma”. It was an easy walk from our hotel and we stopped on the way for dinner at Veggie Galaxy, which is a vegetarian/vegan diner. It was very diner-ish themed, although the waitresses were not wearing skates (bummer). Dustin had the Reuben and I had shepherd’s pie. Then I of course had to try the carrot cake (delicious!). The Cartel show was excellent, and we danced and sang along as they played the album in full.
On Sunday we got up to explore some of
the history of Boston. First, I made us stop at a place called “Cocobeet” which
is a little shop with all kinds of fresh juices and to-go foods.
Well-fed, we headed out on the Freedom
Trail to see Paul Revere’s house, the Old North Church, and the Bunker Hill
Monument.
We went to the pasta dinner for Dustin to carbo-load (it’s not very vegan-friendly, so I just give mine to Dustin). It didn’t feel quite like the celebrity status walk down the red carpet as it did last year, but it’s still a cool experience to eat with all these people who will be running together in the race the following morning.
![]() |
| On the way to the pasta dinner, I picked up some cupcakes from "Sweet". They had Boston Marathon-themed cupcakes and I got one to surprise Dustin with after the race. |
Getting to a street to watch the runners
was much more challenging this year. They kept closing off check points and I
had to try several before being able to get in and get to Hereford Street,
where we had watched from last year. It’s the street right before the runners
to onto Boylston to finish the race. It started raining again when I got there,
and I was glad Dustin had completed most of the race already before getting
rained on. There were lots of people lined up on the street, but I happened to
stand behind a wonderful woman who was waiting for her husband, who was
running. We chatted a little and he was expected to come by a while after
Dustin, so when it got to be time for Dustin to come by, she let me take her
spot in the front so I could get a picture of him running by. I like nice people
and I hope her husband had a good race!
It took me a little while to get to
the family meetup area and when I arrived, Dustin was sitting on the ground
shivering. I felt so bad! Last year, the weather was beautiful and we stood
around for a while taking pictures and listening to his experience. This year,
we just left immediately…he didn’t even want to change. Took us a few minutes,
but we found an unblocked street and got an Uber car. Dustin was happy to be in
a warm car. Back at the hotel, he took a shower and climbed into bed, and I gave him his celebratory cupcake.
After some rest, we went and found a vegan Thai restaurant (My Thai Vegan Café) that was really great! They even had vegan desserts. And we weren't the only marathoners there.
Then we went to the after party at Fenway, but that also meant an hour or so wait in line to get inside, where it was still cold! Dustin had a celebratory beer and we watched the presentation to the winners, then went back to our warm hotel room.
The following Saturday, we flew into Oakland and met our amazing chauffeur (dad!) who drove us down to Monterey for the Big Sur Marathon. Dustin had signed up for the B2B challenge, which entails running the Boston Marathon on Monday and then the Big Sur Marathon the next Sunday. This is an actual challenge (even though some people thought Dustin had made it up) and then only let a few hundred runners do it each year.
In Monterey, Dustin and I went for a short run and then we went to dinner. Later on, I claimed I had to go talk to dad about the details of the morning, but we were actually making shirts for the race the next day (a surprise I had been planning).
Dustin felt ready for the race. I drove him to the bus to the start on Sunday morning and wished him well. After a short run, dad and I got coffee and headed to the finish line. Dustin had a goal to finish both races in under six hours, so I was hoping to see him under three hours and two minutes. The marathon app that tracks runners wasn't showing all of his checkpoints, so I wasn't sure quite when he'd be coming through. He finished in 3:04, but still came through smiling. He said the course was super windy and he didn't have the race he had wanted. He didn't think he'd do that marathon again... but I don't really believe him. ;)
The B2B runners get to go to a special recovery tent after the race and they put on quite the spread (I got to go in with him)! There was so much food and someone brought over his B2B jacket while he was eating.
We celebrated with some delicious vegan Mexican food and then headed back to Napa where we spent two more days hanging out with the fam.


























Love reading all this Kati-you're have quite the life adventures!
ReplyDelete