Thursday, November 3, 2011

Jack's Mannequin, Portland and more Jack's Mannequin...

Last weekend was the weekend of Jack's Mannequin. Eric, Mirra & I drove to Portland to see them in concert. We left on Friday around noon - only to get stuck in traffic, drive 3 miles out of the way to get lunch (I love Panera, ok?!?) and then get stuck in some more traffic and some rain. But we made it.

We stayed at the Hilton in downtown Portland which turned out to be in the perfect location as we could walk to everything we were doing. We stopped at Stumptown for a little pick-me-up before dinner.




Then we had sushi for dinner - delicious!



And then of course I talked them into walking to get fro-yo. This place had more toppings than I've ever seen at a do-it-youself frozen yogurt place. Awesome.


 The concert was at the Roseland theater, which turned out to be awesome. It's a relatively small venue (which I always enjoy more for concerts) and it had a balcony around the top and we found some awesome seats up there on the side. Andrew and his piano were facing our seats, so it was perfect! A most excellent concert!



On Saturday morning we made the trek to VooDoo donuts. For anyone who doesn't know, it's kind of a famous place in Portland. There's always a line! But it wasn't too bad. We got a dozen - so we could try a few different ones. They were pretty good - but I suggest eating them the day of - they lose their novelty the next day.



Afterward we went to brunch at Tasty n' Sons - which was a restaurant I had found online before the trip. It was a fantastic find! All the food was amazing! We had chocolate potato donuts, toast with cheese and jam, glazed yams, potatoes bravas, steak & eggs, and the polenta & sausage. Next time you go to Portland, go there. It's worth it.


After brunch, we headed back to Seattle. We'd only been on the freeway for about five minutes when all of a sudden a car hit a guy on a motorcycle and he was rolling down the exit ramp. Eric (who was driving) saw the guy rolling and quickly moved across the lanes and pulled over to help. Mirra & I hadn't even realized what was going on until we got over there (I think we may have been in a food coma!). I called 911 as Eric jumped out to help the guy and Mirra moved the car to block cars from driving on the exit lane. The guy who had hit him was in shock - he hadn't seen the guy on the bike. There were a lot of people who stopped to help - including one guy who was directing traffic. Nice to know there are good people out there!

The motorcyclist seemed in decent shape.. and the ambulance got there within minutes. Hopefully he turned out alright... 

Other than that, the drive home was relatively calm and easy. No more accidents.

Saturday night we went to see Jack's Mannequin... again. This time in Seattle. Did I mention they're a favorite band?? ;) They played at the Showbox Sodo - which is a decent venue, but has no seats. And we still had to listen to the annoying girl who was openning for them. Still a great show though - as always.

On Sunday, Eric & I ran our 9 miles for the marathon training. It wasn't too bad, but we were happy to be done and enjoy our lazy Sunday after that. We baked pumpkin muffins (another recipe from Miss Ashley - although her bread is better - I need to practice) as well as oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies (which I had tried at Jen's house last week) which also didn't turn out as great as I had hoped. They obviously aren't that bad though... I've had one every day since then and it's Wednesday. :)



We spent the rest of the day watching silly halloween movies including "Young Frankenstein", "Little Shop of Horrors" and "Shaun of the Dead". We also grilled steaks and had some delicious roasted vegetables - another recipe I found online. That's three new recipes I tried in one day. Pretty good for someone who doesn't cook.

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment